Wednesday, May 19, 2010

so my soul is rotting

yes, living as an isolated new grad from RISD is quite an awful experience. i started painting my own work for the first time in about 9 months and i realized how strange it is to work without other artists (particularly chad) breathing over my shoulder about my bad compositions. this is my first post here following a piece that will help me find a substitute for oils.

behold, my macbook camera photo of the concept sketch, followed by my pencil layout and four digital color keys. keep in mind that i colored those on a track pad-- so they are in no way a realistic reflection of my ability to color inside the lines.





i started painting the actual piece earlier tonight and found two things about gouache: it has a lot of push (like oils), though for a very short amount of time, and it is very forgiving. so far, it's making me feel like i wasted a whole lot of time trying to make acrylic my new bitch. acrylic is far more wily than i had realized before i started smacking gouache around.

No comments:

Post a Comment